At Buckeye Optometry in Marion, we offer orthokeratology (ortho-k) for patients who wish to see clearly without wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses or undergoing LASIK surgery.
What is orthokeratology?
Orthokeratology (ortho-k) is a non-invasive procedure that involves wearing specially designed, FDA-approved gas-permeable contact lenses overnight. While you sleep, the contact lenses gently reshape your cornea, temporarily correcting vision problems such as nearsightedness, farsightedness, and astigmatism. You can then remove the lenses when you wake up and see clearly throughout the day without eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Who is a good candidate for orthokeratology?
Orthokeratology is ideal for people who have mild to moderate myopia (nearsightedness) as well as hyperopia (farsightedness) and astigmatism.
Good candidates for orthokeratology include:
- People who don’t want to wear glasses or contact lenses and are not suitable candidates for LASIK surgery due to age or other health concerns.
- Some of the best candidates for ortho-k are children and adolescents with progressive myopia. These lenses can help slow down the progression of their myopia and lower their risk of developing serious eye conditions later in life, such as retinal detachment, glaucoma, and cataracts.
- Athletes, swimmers, or people who work in dusty or dirty environments, where wearing glasses or contact lenses is inconvenient or uncomfortable.
- People who have dry eyes, allergies, or other conditions that make it difficult to wear contact lenses during the day.
- Individuals who want to improve their vision for specific activities such as driving, reading, or computer work.
The first step in deciding if orthokeratology is right for you is consulting with an eye doctor. Your eye doctor will evaluate your eye health, refractive error, and corneal curvature to determine if you are a good candidate for orthokeratology. They will also discuss the risks and benefits of the procedure.
What are the benefits of orthokeratology?
With orthokeratology, you will be able to see clearly for both near and far tasks, such as watching TV or reading a book, without wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses.
Orthokeratology is also effective in slowing down the progression of myopia in children, decreasing their risk of eye diseases later in life.
Additionally, orthokeratology provides athletes with clear, stable vision without having to rely on contact lenses and eyeglasses.
Learn more about orthokeratology
To learn more about orthokeratology, book an appointment at Buckeye Optometry in Marion for a comprehensive eye exam. Ask about orthokeratology and our staff can help you determine if it is a good choice for you.