If you’re considering LASIK surgery, the first step is to consult with an eye doctor. At Buckeye Optometry in Marion, OH, we offer LASIK eye surgery consultations to help you determine if LASIK surgery is right for you. The goal of the appointment is to educate you about your treatment options and gather information to see if you’re a good candidate for LASIK.
What is refractive eye surgery?
Refractive eye surgery is a type of surgical procedure used to correct vision problems such as nearsightedness (myopia), farsightedness (hyperopia), and astigmatism. While there are several types of refractive eye surgeries, the most well-known and commonly performed is LASIK surgery. Many people choose LASIK when they want to reduce or eliminate the need for contact lenses or eyeglasses.
LASIK (laser-assisted in situ keratomileusis) surgery is a minimally invasive outpatient procedure that uses a computer-controlled laser and a small blade to reshape the cornea. A small percentage of patients may experience side effects, but most side effects disappear within a few days or weeks and only cause mild discomfort.
Your refractive eye surgery consultation
During your consultation, you will meet with one of our experienced eye doctors who will evaluate your eyes and discuss your vision correction options with you. Here is what you can expect during your appointment:
- Medical history review: Our doctor will review your medical history, including any past or present eye conditions, medications, and allergies.
- Eye exam: Our optometrist will assess your vision and overall eye health to determine if you are a good candidate for refractive eye surgery. They will also measure your cornea, noting the size, shape, and thickness, and evaluate the volume and quality of your tears to check for dry eye as LASIK can worsen dry eye symptoms.
- Discussion of treatment options: We will discuss various refractive eye surgery options that may be appropriate for you, such as LASIK, PRK (photorefractive keratectomy), or SMILE (small incision lenticule extraction). Our doctor will explain the pros and cons of each procedure and make recommendations based on your eye health, vision correction needs, and lifestyle.
- Risks and benefits: We will explain the potential risks and benefits of refractive eye surgery and answer any questions or concerns you may have.
- Post-surgery care: Our doctor will provide information on post-surgery care, including restrictions on activities, using eye drops, and follow-up appointments.
- Cost and insurance: We will discuss the cost of refractive eye surgery as well as payment options and insurance coverage.
At the end of your consultation, you will have a better understanding of your eye health, vision correction options, and whether refractive eye surgery is right for you.
What happens after LASIK surgery?
Following LASIK surgery, your body needs time to heal and recover. Buckeye Optometry offers post-operative care for LASIK and other refractive eye surgeries at our office in Marion, OH. We will schedule follow-up visits to examine your healing eyes and monitor your recovery to further ensure a successful treatment. In most cases, patients recover from LASIK surgery with no complications. However, in the rare cases where complications do occur, we can detect and treat these issues early during these appointments.
If you’d like to learn more about LASIK, contact our office today to schedule a consultation. Our highly skilled eye care professionals will thoroughly examine your eyes and recommend the treatment option that is best suited to your needs. We will answer all your questions and ensure that you feel confident in your decision to undergo refractive eye surgery.